Editorial Graphics is a fundamental part of Graphic Design, consisting in the combination of text and images in a single visual message. Nowadays it is not only about the layout of printed paper, but also the web through tools for editing and creating graphic content. Several experienced professionals are needed for the realization of good graphic content: Graphic Designer experts, Journalists or Copywriter and an Editorial Director.
To create a magazine you need to know very well at least two basic software, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop. Another tool is Adobe Illustrator to perform a quick logo study or to rebuild and improve the materials sent by the customer. The first step after the brief with the customer is the development of the creative idea that can meet its specific needs.
For a company having a good graphic design is the basis for the construction of a perfect Brand Identity. The corporate identity must be strong, recognizable and able to tell the basic idea of the company through a logo or a graphic layout.
What is Graphic Layout?
Graphic layout is the most important process in editorial graphics, any publication needs a harmonious and consistent layout within the page, so as to ensure the reader a beautiful and usable content. The management of the page elements is carried out through the so-called pagination cage.
The cage, also called grid or typographical grid, is the structure at the base of the pagination, essential to arrange and organize the elements within a page or a screen. Correct graphic layout is the key to any good presentation, a nice and graphically accurate layout ensures a smooth and clear reading. To order the content simply and clearly, it is important to follow three main rules:
- Every text must be enclosed in a cage;
- Each cage must be balanced with the other texts and any images of the page;
- Do not structure cages too particular: you may run the risk of paginating confusing texts, and that do not follow a logical thread between them.
What are the steps to obtain an effective and harmonious layout?
- Define the Master Page, then establishing format, margins, and columns. By initially setting the lateral, upper and lower margins of the page, you can establish the columns inside, then give balance and maximum readability to the contents;
- Prepare header and footer;
- Take the time to choose the fonts to make the layout effective according with the communicative tone suitable for the project commissioned. It then harmonises the text and graphics taking into account the body and the line spacing;
- Compose and import texts, place any captions related to images always optimizing bodies and fonts;
- Revise texts in a general way to eliminate any double spaces or other errors;
- Give uniformity to the width of horizontal and vertical lines by adjusting the text within the page;
- Check lines, arrange isolated lines within pages for flawless layout without typographical errors;
- Compiles the analytical index to provide the reader with quick references on pages where certain topics are covered;
- Arrange the images by adding chromatic arrangements and retouches to improve their quality;
- Proofreading and correcting any typos before publication and printing.
Creating logos, editing images and composing pages for a magazine are just the top of the iceberg. You rely on Advertising Graphics when you have a message or product to propose to an audience, to make sure it achieves its purpose. An advertising graphic designer combines texts, illustrations, symbols and colors to create quality digital content, which are not just meant to attract the attention of the audience.
In other words, the graphic designer must be able to create a bridge between the customer and the final cosumer. Having so much creativity and being able to create original content is certainly important, but the fundamental component of advertising graphics often acts upstream of the project. Essential are the communication skills, understand what are the needs of the customer and what those sought by the end consumer. Once you understand this you can get to work to better communicate the message both through texts and images.
We hope you find this short guide to the world of graphic layout useful for your projects!